Igniting the Fire Gatherings
The Turtle Lodge is responsible for initiating Igniting the Fire – The Sacred Gathering, an annual gathering of Elders, Youth, Adults, Parents, Students, Educators and Researchers, led by indigenous people and open to people of all cultures and backgrounds.
SUMMARIES OF PREVIOUS IGNITING THE FIRE GATHERINGS7th Annual Igniting The Fire (2012) 6th Annual Igniting The Fire (2011) 5th Annual Igniting The Fire (2010) 4th Annual Igniting The Fire (2009) – 1 and 2 3rd Annual Igniting The Fire (2008) 2nd Annual Igniting The Fire (2007) 1st Annual Igniting The Fire (2006) – 1 and 2
- The environmental crisis for which indigenous knowledge can lay the foundation for greater awareness of our connection to the sacredness of the land.
- The growing crisis of the health and well-being of our nations, particularly as it concerns the elderly and the young people. Our communities are faced with the rising incidence of suicide, addictions, mental health problems and diseases such as diabetes.
- How do we deal with these symptoms of colonization, dislocation, and economic disparity?
- A main issue is reclaiming a way of life that our ancestors lived, which could help restore our identity and well-being. Discussing Cultural Reclamation – How do we give our children a cultural education?
- How can we protect the children from further loss from drugs and technologies that reflect violence?
- What is the importance of Women’s Teachings and Rites of Passage? Men’s Teachings and Rites of Passage?
- What is our Traditional Relationship to the Earth, Our Mother, and what are our Roles and Responsibilities as Caretakers?
- How do we achieve Health and Wellness in our Communities ~ From a Traditional Perspective, looking at Balance, a Holistic Approach, Traditional Healing, and Natural Medicines.
- How do we strengthen our link and connection to Spirit?
- How do we engage in pandemic preparation, preparing the way our Ancestors would have?
- How do we rebuild Our Nations and form a New Foundation for the Future?